Saturday 5 October 2013

Rocks, Baths, and Football!

Since I was super busy with school last week, I didn't have time to write, so this post will cover the last 2 weeks! Here we go..

Stonehenge
Last weekend I went on a day trip with a lot of the kids I go to school with.  We went on a tour of Stonehenge and the city of Bath!  This trip was so much fun.  We left at about 8am (midnight for most of you) and first stopped at Stonehenge which was about an hour and a half away from where I am staying.  It was way different than I expected, not sure why but I thought it would be on a cliff, but it was literally on the side of the road and way smaller than I expected!  Don't get me wrong, it was still big, but not as big as I imagined.  Apparently there are a bunch of conspiracies of how the rock formation got there since when they got there, there wouldn't have been the invention of the wheel yet.  The latest conspiracy is that it was aliens... I don't believe that for one second!  We were there for about 30 min, took some pictures, walked around it, and were then off to Bath!

City of Bath
It was about a 45min bus ride from Stonehenge to Bath.  This city was absolutely BEAUTIFUL, and definitely one of my favorite things I've done since being here.  Bath is a Roman city in England and is home to the only hot springs in the country.  The city gets its name from the Roman Baths that were built in the city.  Today the baths are a museum type place that we got to tour.  There were so many people in there at once that it was a little hard to enjoy the museum (plus I was starving the whole time), but it was still very cool.  After the museum we had a little bit of free time to walk around and get lunch.  The city was so pretty, with lots of shops, street performers, and cool views!  The lunch I had was also super good.  Being there really made me want to go to Italy!  We then left bath and headed back home.  It was a super long day, but a ton of fun and a great experience! 
Bath Abby

The rest of the week was very busy with school! I only have 2 weeks left till finals, so I have a ton of papers and tests coming up!  However, on Thursday I had a field trip to a mosque with my Islam in the West Theology class.  We went to the largest mosque in the UK, witnessed a prayer service, and then went to a traditional Turkish restaurant for dinner.  The food was so good! I had lamb, which I had never tried, but it was super good (although there aren't many foods I don't like).  I also received my internship placement this week!  I will be an event planning/PR intern for a company called Action Challenge that organizes outdoor trips and challenges (races, mountain climbing, charity events, etc.).  I will start that on November 1st, and have my interview this week!

Turkish Mosque in London
Lastly, today was one of the most exciting things I've done since being here and something I have always wanted to! I got to go to an English Premiere League game!  The game was Fulham vs. Stoke City.  It was so cool to watch a "football" game in a country where people actually care about professional soccer.  The atmosphere was amazing, everyone cheering and chanting the entire game!  We were rooting for Fulham (who was the home team) and they won with a goal in the 80th min!  It was so much fun and I wish I could afford to go to another game, especially a Chelsea or Manchester United game, while being here, but because soccer is so much more popular here, tickets are basically only available to season ticket holders! 
 
Well thats about it for these last two weeks!  My mom and dad will be here in exactly two weeks, and I can't wait to see them.  I miss everyone more and more by the day.  Hope you are all doing well!

Love,

Bri

No comments:

Post a Comment